The school was awarded Specialist School Science College status in April 2009 and has an ongoing programme of activities to enrich the Science Curriculum. The key aims of the Science College are:
- To raise standards of achievement in science through increased motication and increased quality of teaching and learning.
- To extend curriculum opportunities in science.
- To implement a cross curricular Gifted and Talented programme in all key stages and to support gifted and talented provision in other school.
- To increase the number of students continuing in science education post-16
- To continue the promotion of science within the community
There are a variety of enrichment activities offered by the Science faculty:
- Salters Chemistry Festival
- Creativity week project on Ecology
- Electronics Club
- Chemistry, Biology and Physics Olympiad
- Science and Languages Careers Fair
- GCSE Science LIVE!
- Big Bang Fair
- G&T Oxbridge Enrichment
- Junior Science Club
- Biomedical Society
The Science College also puts on 3 lectures a year which are suitable for all ages and both parents are pupils regularly attend. We have the annual Christmas Lecture, the Stephenson Lecuture in April and the Summer Lecture. These lectures are held in our state of the art, newly built lecture theatre.
A discussion group aimed at potential medics and vets, but free to all, meets weekly to raise awareness of developments in biomedical sciences and to improve discussion skills.
Medical applicants are given support with their applications, personal statements and interview preparation.