The Sports College Specialism is divided into 2 strands: Internal and External Initiatives.
Within the school community, we endeavour to promote a lifelong enjoyment of physical activity and how the goal of being physically fit can be planned for and achieved. The principles involved in both these aims permeate many areas of school life. An example of this is how the KS3 PE curriculum was re-written, working alongside the Science Department, to launch a new course, Sport Science.
Initiatives to enrich the student’s experience of physical education take many forms:
- All students have access to full age group fixture lists in rugby, cricket, outdoor athletics, indoor athletics and netball.
- Tours take place annually in rugby and netball and bi-annually in cricket.
- Vertical teams compete competitively in netball and rugby in the 6th form and in team competitions in outdoor athletics in Y7-10.
- All students have access to Sports Lectures which can take place twice per year in the Jefferson Lecture Theatre.
- Students in Y11-13 have access to the Specialisms Careers Fair held annually in October.
- All students have access to attend the annual Sports Dinner. The 2017 version was attended by more than 270 people.
- Every year, the Y10 Creativity Week enables students to plan an emergency response to a disaster on Dartford Heath in a cross-curricular project involving PE, Maths and Geography.
In line with our aim to promote a lifelong enjoyment of physical activity, we work closely with external agencies.
- CPD and specialist PE teaching provided to local primary school teachers.
- G&T mornings / afternoons provided to local primary school children in cricket and athletics in the summer term.
- Invitations sent to local primary schools to attend our Y7 Rugby Festivals and to attempt the rugby assault course!
- Our Sports & Games staff organise the Kent U14 rugby 7s competition, attended by over 25 schools, the Kent U15 15s cup competition, county wide Girls rugby taster sessions and a regional athletics competition.
All the fantastic work undertaken by our staff and students is best seen through the termly newsletter and twitter updates, please go and take a look.