The school was awarded Specialist School Science College status in April 2009 and has an ongoing programme of activities to enrich the Science Curriculum.
The key aims of the Science College
- To raise standards of achievement in science through increased motivation and increased quality of teaching and learning
- To extend curriculum opportunities in science
- To implement a cross curricular Gifted and Talented programme in all key stages and to support gifted and talented provision in other schools
- To increase the number of students continuing in science education post-16
- To develop the promotion of science within the community
Enrichment activities offered by the Science faculty
- Y12 Creativity Week Activity
- Biology, Chemistry and Physics Olympiad
- Science and Languages Careers Fair
- GCSE Science LIVE!
- Operating Theatre Live
- Y12 Ecology Field Course
- Big Bang Fair
- G&T Oxbridge Enrichment
- KS3 Science Club
- Biomedical and Ethical Society
The Science College puts on two lectures a year which are suitable for all ages, and both parents and pupils regularly attend. We have the annual Christmas Lecture, the Stephenson Lecture in March and a number of smaller, student only lectures in the summer term. These lectures are held in our state of the art, newly built lecture theatre.
A group aimed at potential medics and vets (the Biomedical and Ethical Society), but free to all, meets weekly to raise awareness of developments in biomedical sciences and to improve discussion skills.
Medical applicants are provided with support for their UCAS applications and personal statements, and are provided with interview preparation.