PSHE and RSHE
PSHE education contributes to personal development by helping children and young people to build their personal identities, confidence and self-esteem, make career choices and understand what influences their decisions including financial ones. Developing self-understanding, empathy and the ability to work with others will help young people to enjoy healthy and productive relationships in all aspects of their lives. The PSHE programme of study at Dartford Grammar School is a spiral programme that is progressive, year on year. Students consider progression in terms of progression in their knowledge and understanding, and progression in their interpersonal thinking skills that are developed in the context of that new knowledge and understanding.
At Dartford Grammar School we believe that providing high quality Relationships, Sex and Health Education is vitally important for our students. Relationships and Sex Education, and Health Education were made statutory by the Department for Education in 2019, as per section 34 of the Children and Social Work Act 2017. Through our RSHE curriculum we aim to:
- Provide a framework in which sensitive discussions can take place
- Prepare pupils for puberty, and give them an understanding of sexual development and the importance of health and hygiene
- Help pupils develop feelings of self-respect, confidence and empathy
- Create a positive culture around issues of sexuality and relationships
- Teach pupils the correct vocabulary to describe themselves and their bodies
Find more details about our PHSE and RSHE programmes here.